Everyday I walk to the train to go to work, hustling to make sure I get there before my boss does and along the way see many advertisements on losing weight. Instantly I think it’s ridiculous and everybody who believes the miracle they promise is in for a huge let down! The fact of the matter is there are far too many people that really do believe everything they hear and see. Well, I’ve come across a couple articles off the LiveStrong website and have made a list of ways to get the body type you desire without doing what those darn advertisers want you to do.
1. Get fit from the inside out – Instead of only looking to the scale and the mirror for feedback, focus first and foremost on how exercise makes you feel—more energetic, healthier, and less stressed. Cosmetic changes will naturally occur if you seek out and adopt a fitness plan that you enjoy and take to heart
2. Workout first thing in the morning – Research shows that people who work out first thing in the morning work out more often. Why? Because you’re less likely to make excuses when you get it done before something else can get in your way.
3. Drink lots of water – Water makes up about 72% of our body. If you don’t drink enough water, your body won’t function correctly. Think about it…
4. Pump more iron – Anyone who wants to change the shape of their body needs to lift weights. Specifically, lift heavy weights and perform multi-joint exercises such as deadlifts, squats, and push presses. If your goal is to look toned and lose belly fat, combine 20 minutes of high-intensity cardio and 20 minutes of strength training for your workout—you’ll be finished in just 40 minutes and just in time for The Bachelor.
5. Begin with the end in mind – Start with the end point of your specific goal in mind, and then work backwards to plan out your workout. That way, you’ll know exactly what you need to do to reach your goal, keeping you motivated and moving forward.
6. Make an emotional connection – Studies show that when you connect with something you like -whether it’s a personal trainer, fitness video, or piece of equipment- you make a positive emotional connection and are more likely to stick with that exercise routine.
7. Share your goal with others – Talking about and sharing your goals with other people is a great way to hold yourself accountable for taking action. It will give you a greater purpose, as you’ll find that you want to follow-through on what you’ve told people, and it will help you create a support network. You may even find that other people have helpful suggestions based on their own experiences, expertise, or personal and professional networks.
8. Pick up the intensity – A lot of people put the time into their workouts but completely fail when it comes to the intensity. Bottom line: If it’s not hard, it isn’t and you won’t see results.
9. Plan ahead – For the busy bee business woman like myself, I need to plan my workouts in advance. Becoming more committed to a workout and scheduling will always increase your chance of following through.
10. Think of food as fuel – Think of your food as fuel and not as a reward or something to satisfy your taste buds or cravings. That bag of chips isn’t going to turn your thunder thighs into a muscle machine.
11. Find a good fitness friend -Having a workout buddy is extremely helpful when trying to stay motivated. The key is to find someone that will push and inspire you – not discourage. Find someone that’s motivated, reliable and supportive.
12. Aim high but stay realistic – Rome was not built in a day. Setting your expectations too high is something that all of us do, but it’s better to be realistic than set yourself up for failure. It’s good to have goals, just make sure those goals are smart, achievable ones.
13. Healthy is better – I am always amazed at how people sabotage all their incredible efforts in the gym by overeating junk and under-eating nutrient-rich foods. If you commit to a diet of clean food -mainly all colors of plants, lean quality proteins, good healthy fats, and grains like quinoa and amaranth- and limit processed food, fast food, sugar, super starchy grains, and trans fats, you can see tremendous results in your body.
Nothing changes overnight, so make small changes for lasting results.